Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lost my marbles?

Pulling the keys out of my pocket, I sighed as the entire contents of my pocket spilled onto the sidewalk. My pockets were a treasure chest of sorts, with different confiscated toys from the day's off task students. Locking the door to my classroom, I gathered up most of the contents, missing only a few. "Looking for something?" My teacher buddy asks, noticing me searching the grounds as she's coming up the sidewalk. "Well..." I sighed, "It's official. I have lost my marbles" She cracked up. "Stop it!" she cackled. Honestly, though, I HAD lost my marbles. Those were the elusive treasure I couldn't find. A few minutes of searching finally located the marbles, gleaming in the bright afternoon sunshine. Gathering them back up, we said our goodbyes and left for the day.


Although that was a light hearted humor, secretly I have to wonder. Am I losing my marbles? Two weeks straight, and I can't shake this frustration. I have found myself getting bound up in the cares of this world. I've had just about enough of it. Politics, broken homes, poverty at every turn, can I wash my hands of it yet? My name is not Jesus. I am not the savior of the world, so why do I keep trying to save the world? I couldn't even save ME, much less a world full of people. Anybody out there know what I'm talking about?

It's time to practice a little bit of that self control that belongs to the fruit of the spirit.  Garbage in, garbage out. Daily, we're all faced with garbage. If all we put in our minds, through daily stimuli is garbage, our attitude will start to reflect that.

Making a conscious decision, I want to immerse myself in the Word of God, in hymns, and Jesus-thoughts. I want to be able to be thankful when I see a solitaire rose on the bush. I want to breathe in a word of thanks as I inhale the fragrant Confederate Jasmine. God's beauty is all around us, nestled in His creation. I want to be more thankful for that, than irritated with humanity. Wouldn't you rather do that, too? Instead of gritting your teeth at how horrible your boss is, or your employees are, or cringe at the thought of your family--turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face. Then the things of this world, will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and Grace!

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. --Romans 12:2

Lord, help me turn my eyes to you
In Jesus name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment