Friday, December 31, 2010

Auld Lange Syne

Indeed, times have gone by. As we say goodbye to 2010, and give a hearty hello to 2011, I'm reminded of some comforting truths I've learned this year.  Just when I though I'd learned a lot, God teaches me even more.


For example, I've learned that my actions are by-products of my belief system.  Do I believe it will rain? If so, I'm going to make sure my laundry is brought in and that the windows are rolled up on my vehicle.  Do I believe it's going to be sub-freezing temperatures tonight? Yes? Then I'll probably leave a faucet dripping, maybe even cover the plants, pipes and pets while I'm at it.

The same can be said about what we believe about God. Do I believe that God says? Well, first off, do I know what God says? Each trial I've gone through this year, was a learning experience for me. Learning to trust that God has my best interest in heart was a big one.  Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you" Do I believe this? What might my actions be that follow? How will believing that God's word is true, reflect in my attitude towards others? What about John 3:16? Do I believe that God loved me so much that if I simply believed in Jesus I would never perish but have eternal life? 


This year, I've learned to trust humanity less, and God more. In doing this, there is a lot less heartache and disappointments, because I really don't expect anything from humanity.  I am in hopes that no one expects anything from me, either, because I guarantee that sooner or later, I'll let them down. 


What else has God said? Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God. --John 1:12


Do I believe this? When I made a conscious decision that God can be trusted, that He gives me life, I was born--again. Not in the way of the flesh, but born of God. Do I believe this? What will be my attitude as a by product?


Colossians 1:27 tells us that the riches of such a mystery is Christ in us, our hope of Glory.


I Corinthians 3:16 asks us, "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in your midst?" (I'd like to point out that God's Spirit DWELLS, not simply stops by and visits every now and then when we're behaving just right) 


If I believe all of these things, and all the rest of the things that God has said, then the by product of my attitude should be one of thankfulness, trust, and rest. 


I don't know about you, but I can honestly say I don't always walk in a walk of trust.  Sometimes I forget, or get my focus on what I see with my eyes, rather than what I can't see.  Of course, I react accordingly, and the Holy Spirit has to renew my mind all over again. 


Yep, safe to say that this year has brought a lot of lessons to learn, and I'm pretty sure it's safe to say, God's not through with me yet!


What about you? As we go into the new year, do you have any pasts lessons that you can be thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment