Monday, July 5, 2010

I think I see our exit up ahead... get ready to turn...

Almost. We've been traveling for miles and miles it seems. I didn't think we'd EVER get there! Where are we going? To eternity. To be honest, I've not thought of heaven in a while, until just here recently. You see, for years, that's all I thought about, "When I get to heaven, I'll_____________" then fill in the blanks with what we'll do, who we'll see, what we'll hear... whatever your pleasure. The problem was that, was that I was so focused on 'then', that I was totally blowing 'now' off. I wasn't loving my family and friends--had no time--I was trying to see heaven up ahead, and try as I might.. I just couldn't.

Since we were riding together, Jesus saw fit to teach me to enjoy His company.... His life.. in the here and now. For so many years of struggling to see heaven, I totally missed Jesus's offer of rest in Matthew 11:28-30:"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." I'd read that countless of times, and I was in no wise resting. I had no time to rest... what with my struggles. So, naturally, I assumed that it meant come to Jesus "now", and he'd give me rest "later'. Didn't work that way--thankfully. 


With the teaching of the Holy Spirit, I was finally learning to rest and just enjoy the ride to our destination. Eventually, heaven wasn't even on my mind, the fellowship with Jesus here and now was too intense for me to even THINK about heaven. Heaven will be there when I get through--no sense in worrying about it.  


Now, after miles and miles of travel.. seems I saw a sign off the highway that stated something like, "Heaven ahead--you're almost home!"  I was reminded this past Sunday, just how glorious the New Heaven and earth were going to be. Sunday's message had us in Revelation (the past two Sundays, actually) and we're getting a glimpse of what John saw, and we're getting a glimpse of the exuberant joy radiating from God as he describes what home will be like for us. Add to that, the reminder in a song from my past about how there will be no more heartache, no violence... it's just wonderful.


Some of us will make it home before others... but in the end... we'll all get there. So no need to worry if someone is zipping past you in the fast lane. It's okay if you zip by me in the fast lane, too. "We" being those of us who have put our trust in Jesus and Who He actually is.  


Now, I didn't catch the sign well enough to read it all, so I'm not sure how far up ahead it is... I just know we're closer now than what we were years ago. It's okay, though... this fellowship with Jesus is unlike any I've ever known. 
So... are you going my way? Have you enjoyed the ride thus far? No? You might be like me--straining so hard to see the end of the journey, you're forgetting who's with you taking the journey. Just sit back, turn your eyes upon Jesus, and the things of this world, will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and Grace. While you're getting to know Jesus better, let Him teach you how to rest now... we can, you know. If we switch our burdens out... it's lots easier to rest. Believe me, I know. 
Sit back and enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment