Monday, October 11, 2010

Things that make you go, 'hmmmm'

 I have to confess, I really wasn't expecting anything momentous  when I pulled up my favorite radio broadcast. Due to hectic schedules, I've seldom had time to listen to my friends over in Carrollton, Texas. But, I had some spare time this afternoon, so I thought I'd pull up today's archive and give it a listen. Mainly just to see what the folks were up to.
God, however, had other plans...
One caller called in and was questioning things about the Book of Revelation. It wasn't clear to me just what was being asked, but based on the response of the radio host, I could infer that she was asking of the "end time" warnings of Revelation. Richard, one of the hosts, answered that one of the things we all need to realize about the Book of Revelation, is that it is a revelation of Jesus Christ, not a revelation of trumpets, scrolls, horses and the like. Of course, all those things happen and are recorded, but keep the main thing the main thing--Jesus Christ. I can relate. Once upon a time, the church bunch I was hanging around and myself, saw a 'clue' behind every bush of what this prophecy or that prophecy in Revelation was talking about. We would diligently watch the news, and of course, when certain numbers would show up in my checkbook--well, surely that was God sending me a secret code, right? Yeahrite.

The thing is, when we allow ourselves to get so wrapped up in what's going to happen, when it's going to happen, and who it's going to happen to, we're forgetting the main thing: Jesus Christ. For those of us who are in Christ, we are His, and we've been given every spiritual blessing from heaven. Not some of the blessings, but every spiritual blessing. We might not realize it, but not knowing we have it, doesn't erase the fact that we indeed have it.

The closing remark on this particular caller was one that made me just pause and take thought for a minute:
We should take the information in Revelation, in the same manner that Mary took the news revealed to her about her upcoming pregnancy. Obviously there were a few things she didn't understand, but she took it by faith that God had it all worked out. Her words to Gabriel, after he'd told her all he needed to, was: "I am the Lord's servant, may it be to me as you have said."  She didn't understand, but she was available to God to use as He saw fit.

When I heard this particular item, a feeling of peace just came over me. No matter what the news says, it's going to be okay for me, and the millions of others in Christ that are out there. Yes, terrible things are going to come... but all the judgement of God that's going to be poured out on the earth--we've been sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. We've nothing to fear.
Isn't that good news??

No comments:

Post a Comment